NYFA fencers made us very proud at the 2017 Junior Olympics in Kansas City. Alan Temiryaev led our team with a gold medal win in Juniors and Anton Chmut earned his place on the podium in Cadets. Our young fencers did a great job competing at a level that some had never faced before: everyone advanced out of pools, and many won their first DE’s!
Congratulations to all who made Top 32:
- Alan Temiryaev – Gold in Juniors, 22nd in Cadets, and World Team selection!
- Anton Chmut – 6th in Cadets
- Jaclyn Khrol – 11th in Juniors
- Nathan Vaysberg – 12th in Juniors, 22nd in Cadets
- Temiryaev, Chmut, Vaysberg, Cohen – 6th in Jr Team
- Khrol, Dolgonos, Lanzman, Liverant – 14th in Jr Team
- Dolgonos, Gaidar, Liverant, Mogilevich – 31st in Jr Team
Finals Alan Temiryaev v Mick Yamanaka
Alan Temiryaev wins 2017 Junior Olympic National Championship in Junior Men’s Epee. pc: USA Fencing
Alan T. Junior Olympic National Champion Junior Men’s Epee
Anton Chmut at JOs
Anton Chmut 6th in Cadets at JOs
NYFA’s Women’s Team
NYFA Men’s Team 1
NYFA Men’s Team 3
Click here to see a video of Alan’s final touch 🙂
Congratulations to our young fencers who earned medals in the adult Cobra Regional Open Circuit!
- Nathan Vaysberg – Gold in Div1A out of 95 fencers & A2017
- Mark Dolgonos – 7th out of 50 in Div2
- Daniel Gaidar – 8th in Div2 and E2017
Bravo, Romain Cannone, for 3rd place at the Young Lions Junior World Cup in Espoo, Finland! We wish him good luck at World Championships.
We’re happy for Alan Temiryaev who made the USA Cadet National Team! Now let’s get ready for World Championships!
Finally, congratulations to the NYFA Youth Challenge #4 medalists – Results and to our youth fencers who brought home medals from the NSFC Youth event – Results
Nathan Vaysberg (left) – Gold in Div1A at Cobra ROC
Mark Dolgonos 7th, Daniel Gaidar 8th (right) in Div2 at Cobra ROC
Romain Cannone (right) 3rd Junior World Cup Young Lions Espoo 2017
Congratulations to our youth for earning 10 medals including 2 Golds, 4 Silver, and 3 Bronze at the Premier RYC! Emily Ostrovsky did an outstanding job taking third place at her first competition. Emily managed to overcome her pool results to beat the number 4 seed in her first DE and winning her 2nd DE, making her first competition a success. Shawn Agaon also did his personal best and we are very proud of him! Daniel Gaidar has been training with us for only half a year and he’s already showing consistent strong results, taking gold in Y14 and silver in Cadets and earning his D2017! Surely it’s great to see Ian Goldfine winning and David Pavlenishvili taking bronze in Y12. Alan Slavinsky was one step away from winning Y14 and took silver in the hard bout. Our youngest fencers, Ethan and Julian, also fenced well and took silver and bronze in Y8 – good job boys!
Premier Club RYC & Cadet:
- Daniel Gaidar – Gold in Y14, Silver in U17 and D2017!
- Ian Goldfine – Gold in Y12
- Alan Slavinsky – Silver in Y14
- Shawn Agaon – Silver in Y10
- Ethan Zaydman – Silver in Y8
- David Pavlenishvili – Bronze in Y12
- Emily Ostrovsky – Bronze in Y12
- Julian Brodsky – Bronze in Y8
- Ethan Agaon – 6th in Y10
Congratulations also to Anton Chmut for making top 8 at the NYAC Mercury Cup open only to A and B rated fencers.
Emily Ostrovsky Bronze Y12 w/Coach Anton Dutchak
Daniel Gaidar Gold, Alan Slavinsky Silver Y14
Ian Goldfine Gold, David Pavlenishvili Bronze Y12
Daniel Gaidar Silver U17
Anton Chmut 8th NYAC Mercury Cup
Congratulations to Anton Chmut for winning Gold in Team and Bronze in Individuals at the Cadet European Cup in Bratislava, Slovakia!
Anton Chmut – Gold in Team at Bratislava Cadet Cup
Anton Chmut with Gold medal Team USA at Bratislava
Anton Chmut – Bronze in Cadets at Bratislava
Anton has been working hard towards this result since he was 10 years old. He continuously progressed and we are happy he is finishing his last cadet year on such a great note with amazing results! Anton started competing internationally last year. He fenced a total of 5 international events improving in every one. He made top 64 in his first year, and this year went from top 64 to top 16 and finally top 4. For his bronze medal, Anton beat all of his opponents in pools. He then defeated Polish fencer Mikolaj Radosz in the round of 128, topped Robert Pierson-Bartel from Hungary with a score of 15-6 for top 32, and beat his opponent from Lithuania 15-11 for top 16. For top 8, he faced a strong fencer from Ukraine, Dmytro Samoilov. Anton was losing 4-1 but managed to change the course of the bout with a decisive win of 15-8. The bout for top 4 was against Romanian, Mihai Bigea, and Anton won strategically 6-4. The next day, Anton took gold in the team event, representing USA out of 35 teams! Anton is a persevering and dedicated fencer, and we hope he continues to improve so he can fight for a spot on the Junior National Team.
New York Fencing Academy is proud to have fencers in the top 4 at every cadet designated international event this season! Alan Temiryaev is ranked the #5 cadet in the world and Anton Chmut is #15 cadet in the world!
Ian Goldfine – Gold in Y10 Capitol Clash SYC w/Coach Mokretsov
Jaclyn Khrol – 7th in Juniors at January NAC w/Coach Mokretsov
Congratulations also to our medalists at Capitol Clash SYC & Cadet RCC
- Ian Goldfine – Gold in Y10
- Nadia Gaberkorn – 8th in Y14
And to our Top 32 athletes at the January NAC in Columbus, Ohio:
- Jaclyn Khrol – 7th in Juniors
- Alan Temiryaev – 12th in Juniors, 31st in Div I
- Skyler Chin – 21st in Juniors
- December 25th is our Member Holiday Party! It starts at 3 and there will be lots of food, fun, and parent fencing! RSVP to Anton or Marina.
- December 26-30 is our Winter Camp where we’ll be preparing for the January NAC. All of our best athletes are attending and we invite everyone to join us!
- December 31-January 2 we will be closed. Happy New Year!
Congratulations to our fencers for their recent top results:
Michael Mogilevich – 3rd & B2016 in Cadets at Boston RJCC
Peter Kambeseles – 7th in Y14 at Windy City SYC in Chicago
Metro Div JO Qualifier:
- Andrew Mufel – 1st and qualified in Juniors & Cadets
- Joshua Shuster – 1st and qualified in Cadets
- Ethan Kushnerik – 2nd and qualified in Juniors & Cadets
- Daniel Gaidar – 3rd and qualified in Juniors & Cadets
Brentwood Holiday Invitational – NY high school tournament
- Bennett Cohen – 1st for second year in a row
- Matthew Ko – 3rd
Michael Mogilevich, 3rd and B2016 at Boston RJCC
Bennett Cohen 1st and Matthew Ko 3rd at Brentwood Holiday Invitational high school tournament
Congratulations to Romain Cannone for taking 6th place out of 184 fencers in the Mémorial de Martinengo Junior World Cup in Bratislava, Slovakia!
Romain Cannone (3rd from right) – Top 8 in the Men’s Epee Junior World Cup in Bratislava, Slovakia
Congrats also to our top 32 fencers at the December NAC in Richmond, Virginia:
- Nathan Vaysberg – 10th in Div IA
- Alan Temiryaev – 25th in Div I
NYFA December Tournaments include the Metro JO Qualifier. Sign-up:
NYFA Winter Camp early registration ends December 15th. Register now:
Congratulations to our 5 athletes who represented USA at the Épée Cadet European Cup in Grenoble, France — especially to Alan for winning 2 medals, and Anton for earning his first top 16 international result! Well done!
- Alan Temiryaev – Silver out of 19 in Teams, Bronze out of 177 in Individuals
- Anton Chmut – 8th in Team, 10th in Individuals
- Nathan Vaysberg – 11th in Team, 40th Individuals
- Bennett Cohen – 11th in Team, 41st Individuals
- Anna Lanzman – 114th out of 218 in Individuals. Anna passed two rounds of pools and won her first DE at her first cadet world.
Alan Temiryaev Silver Cadet Team Grenoble
Alan Temiryaev Bronze Cadet European Cup Grenoble
Some highlights from USA Fencing:
Team USA 1 is bringing home the silver! Emon Daroian, Cedric Mecke, Jonathan Piskovatskov and Alan Temiryaev went 2-0 in pools to take the top seed in the DEs. USA 1 won three matches to advance to the finals, defeating Great Britain 2, 45-25; Switzerland, 43-25; and Italy 4, 45-24. Temiryaev scored 17 in the final bout against Italy 1, but the Italians took the win, 45-36. USA 2’s team of Michael Bissinger, Anton Chmut, Eliot Herbst and Isaac Herbst adv. to the quarters, but lost to Italy 1, 45-35, and finished eighth.
Individuals: In T32, Temiryaev def. Morgan Wingerter (FRA), 15-10. Chmut def. Gaetan Le Berre (FRA), 15-14. In T16, Temiryaev def. Aurelien Raulo (FRA), 15-11. Chmut def. teammate Eliot Herbst, 15-11. In the table of 8, Temiryaev def. teammate Anton Chmut, 14-13 in the rep to move into the quarters. Piskovatskov def. Temiryaev, 15-14, in the semis and went on to win gold. Alan Temiryaev took bronze.
Congratulations also to our medalists at Cobra Challenge SYC & Cadets including 3 champions — Jaclyn, Skyler, and Caralina!
- Jaclyn Khrol – Gold in Cadets, 5th in Y14
- Skyler Liverant – Gold in Y14. Skyler also got 26th out of 107 in Y12 foil! He may have fenced foil for fun, but he was just 1 touch short of making top 16, got national points, and qualified for Nationals.
- Caralina Khrol – Gold in Y12, 8th in Cadets
- Ethan Kushnerik – Bronze in Y14
- Nadia Gaberkorn – Bronze in Y12, 6th in Y14
- Jordan Liverant – 7th in Y14
Congratulations to our athletes who made Top 32 at the November NAC in Milwaukee and especially to our medalists!
- Jackie Khrol, Anna Lanzman, Jordan Liverant, Anna Temiryaev – Bronze in Cadet Team
- Jackie Khrol – 5th in Cadets, 19th in Y14, 28th in Juniors
- Anton Chmut, Bennett Cohen, Alan Temiryaev, Nathan Vaysberg – 5th in Cadet Team
- Anna Temiryaev – 6th in Y10
- Ian Goldfine – 7th in Y10
- Anton Chmut – 12th in Juniors
- Nadia Gaberkorn – 13th in Y14 & E2016
- Ethan Kushnerik – 20th in Y14
- Nathan Vaysberg – 22nd in Cadets
- Skyler Liverant – 26th in Y14
- Jack Kambeseles – 32nd in Y14
Bronze Medal Cadet Women’s Epee Team
We also congratulate our medalists at the Thrust Fall RJCC:
- Jackie Khrol – Bronze in Juniors
- Nadia Gaberkorn – 7th in Cadets and D2016
- Joshua Shuster – 8th in Cadets
Youth: Don’t forget the NYFA Youth Challenge #3 is this Sunday, 11/20!
WORLD & SYC RESULTS:
Congratulations to our 5 athletes who competed in the Klagenfurt Cadet European Cup in Austria. We are very proud of how well they represented the USA and NYFA!
Men’s Epee Individuals (239 fencers):
- Alan Temiryaev – Bronze. Alan’s first world event!
- Nathan Vaysberg – 33rd. Nathan’s first world also.
- Anton Chmut – 37th. Both Nathan and Anton went undefeated in pools and were 1 step away from Top 32.
- Bennett Cohen – 156th. We know Bennett definitely has it in him to do better next time!
Men’s Epee Team (40 teams):
- Anton Chmut, Alan Temiryaev – Bronze
- Nathan Vaysberg – 4th. Both Alan and Nathan were anchors and did great jobs for their teams.
Women’s Epee Individual (213 fencers):
- Jaclyn Khrol – 163rd. At just 13, Jackie is our youngest fencer to make the traveling team. This was her first world event and there’s surely much more to come from Jackie in the next 4 years in Cadets.
Let’s wish the best of luck to Anton, Nathan, Alan, Bennett and Anna Lanzman at the next world event in France in November!
Alan Temiryaev – Bronze Klagenfurt Cadet
Anton Chmut, Alan Temiryaev – Bronze Cadet Team Klagenfurt
Congratulations also to our medalists at the Ben Gutenberg Memorial SYC:
- Nadia Gaberkorn – Silver in Y14 and Bronze in Y12
- Jack Kambeseles – 8th in Y14
NEW NYFA WEAR:
Shirts: Members represent Coney Island & the best fencing club in NY!
Warm-Ups: New Under Armour warm-ups are available to order now for $130/kids set; $140/adults set; $80/jacket only.
Nadia Gaberkorn – left, Y14 Silver, Y12 Bronze
NYFA Loves Coney Island!
UPCOMING NYFA TOURNAMENTS: Click here for Events & Registration on Askfred. Don’t miss the Nov 20th NYFA Youth Challenge #3 (Y8/10/12/14) + Juniors. Youth points are awarded at each Challenge and the top 4 results of the season will count, so you still have a chance to win our sharp Championship Trophies!
Congratulations to our athletes for their recent top results:
- Romain Cannone – Bronze in Team (France) and Top 16 in Individuals at the Junior World Cup in Riga, Latvia
- Anton Chmut – Silver in Juniors at Cobra RJCC
- Sam Bekker – Bronze and A2016 in Juniors at Cobra RJCC
- Melanie Dolgonos – 5th in Cadets at Cobra RJCC
- Ethan Kushnerik – Gold in Y14 at Daugherty SYC
- Mark Dolgonos – 5th place in Y14 at the Daugherty SYC
- Click here for these and more recent Top 8 results
Other Club News:
- NYFA Cadets – Good luck to Anton, Jackie, Nathan, Alan, and Bennett who will represent the US in Klagenfurt, Austria this weekend!
- NYFA Youth – We earned the most Gold SYC medals (18) in the US in 2015-16! For total SYC medal count, we ranked 3rd nationally. Source: National Fencing Club Rankings
Romain Cannone Bronze Junior Team World Cup Latvia
Ethan Kushnerik Gold Mark Dolgonos 5th Daugherty SYC
Anton Chmut Silver, Sam Bekker Bronze Cobra RJCC
NYFA’s USA Cadet Team
Posted in CLUB ANNOUNCEMENTS, RESULTS
Tagged BROOKLYN FENCING, Cadet fencing, coney island fencing, France Junior Team, New York fencing, RJCC, Super Youth Circuit, US Cadet team, World Cup, youth fencing