Never fenced before? New to NYFA? It’s easy to get started!
- Contact us to schedule your introductory lessons or find out the best times to visit, observe a class, and talk to a coach or manager.
- All ages (6 to adult) & all levels (beginners to advanced) fence at NYFA.
- No experience, equipment or membership are required to start.
- You can begin any time of the year, and we can accommodate almost any schedule (Mondays-Saturdays)
- Follow the 3 steps below to join Team NYFA!
1. START WITH INTRODUCTORY LESSONS
All students who are new to NYFA begin with Introductory Lessons with one of our expert coaches. Call 718-996-0426 or 516-472-7042 to book your lessons!
BEGINNERS: If you’ve never fenced before or have less than six months experience, start with an Introductory Package of private lessons. You will learn proper fencing position, how to hold the weapon, how to make correct touches, and how to do a basic attack. We recommend two or four lessons a week for two weeks. Then you’ll be ready to join our ongoing group classes safely and with confidence. Equipment is provided. You can take one private lesson before starting a package if you prefer. (see FAQ for more info)
- Four Beginner Private Lessons for $180 (Intro 4)
- Eight Beginner Private Lessons for $360 (Intro 8)
INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED: If you have more than 6 months of fencing experience and can demonstrate proper fencing techniques, start with one Introductory Lesson so our coach can assess and recommend the best training schedule for your goals and abilities.
- One Intermediate/Advanced Private Lesson for $50
2. JOIN GROUP CLASSES & BEGIN YOUR FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
After completing Introductory lessons, you can join group classes and start fencing with other students. Most people choose a member package for best savings: you get 9 weeks of classes & lessons for the price of 8 weeks. Optionally, you may take individual classes and lessons without the package discount.
A free trial membership is included for the first session! Member benefits include access to discount prices for classes, lessons, and camps, free open bouting, online scheduling, access to lockers, participation in special club activities, and much more.
3. BECOME AN OFFICIAL NYFA MEMBER (& GET YOUR NYFA TEAM TEE SHIRT AND BADGE!)
After your free trial session, we’re confident you’ll want to become an official member and join Team NYFA! Membership fees for the season will be pro-rated and due after your trial ends. Member discounts, family discounts and payment options make our club even more affordable. Your member benefits will remain active for the season AND you get a free NYFA t-shirt and club badge!
If you don’t want to join NYFA, you may still take classes, lessons, and bout at our club as a non-member but you won’t have access to packages, class, lesson or camp discounts, free bouting or other member benefits.