ANNOUNCING 3 Sessions fOR 2018 NYFA Summer Sleep-Away Camps:
JULY 22-31, 2018 at STORM KING
AUGUST 1-10, 2018 at STORM KING
AUGUST 11-20, 2018 at PERK
Save the Dates! Details and registration for 2018 Camps will be posted as soon as available.
New for 2018: We’re happy to offer to parents of young campers, rooms at Storm King (Sessions 1 & 2) which may be reserved by parents at cost if you would like to stay very close by! More info to follow.
PAST CAMPS – 2017:
- Thank you to the fantastic coaches and 100+ fencers who made our 2017 camp a great experience, and the biggest & best epee camp in the US! We look forward to seeing everyone again next year!
- 2017 NYFA Summer Camp Photo/Video Album – enjoy the memories!!
- SESSION 1 AT STORM KING IN NY: AUGUST 3-12
- THIS SESSION IS FULL: SESSION 2 AT PERK IN PA: AUGUST 13-22
- WHITEWATER RAFTING IN PA: AUGUST 12
Our camps are ideal for fencers ages 10 and up with at least 1 year of experience. We focus on intermediate and advanced competition training led by world-class coaches including NYFA’s Misha Mokretsov, Penn State’s Alexey Sintchinov, Medeo’s Yakov Danilenko, Toronto’s Tim Svidnytsky, Alliance’s Sergei Danilov, Sword’s Sorah Shin, and NYFA’s Yarik Ponomarenko and Anton Dutchak. Among their students are World cup and National champions, National team members, NCAA college athletes, and many of today’s best youth fencers. Top-ranked fencers will also be on staff to assist. USFA-sanctioned tournaments will put campers’ skills to the test. Competitive fencers from all clubs are encouraged to join us and help make these summer epee camps the best in the country! Read about last year’s camps: 2016 Summer Fencing Camp Success
NYFA CAMPS INCLUDE
- 3 Training sessions per day
- Group lessons, footwork, and drills
- Supervised electric bouting
- Conditioning exercises
- USFA-sanctioned tournaments
- Camp shirt for every camper
- 3 Meals per day
- Recreational facilities: gymnasiums, student activity centers/game rooms, athletic fields; swimming pool
- Dorms: semi-private rooms; lounges/common areas; coin laundry machines
2017 SESSION 1: AUGUST 3-12 AT STORM KING SCHOOL, 314 Mountain Rd, Cornwall-On-Hudson, NY 12520
8/3-8/12, Thursday-Saturday (10 Days), check in by 12pm, out by 2pm
Storm King is located 70 miles north of NYC in Orange County on a 54-acre campus. Amenities include a fencing gym, gymnasium, athletic fields, student activities center, semi-private rooms, lounges. For medical care, there is a hospital within 3 miles. www.sks.org
2017 SESSION 2: AUGUST 13-22 AT PERK School, 200 Seminary St, Pennsburg, PA 18073
8/13-22, Sunday-Tuesday (10 Days), check in by 12pm, out by 2pm
Perk(iomen) is located 100 miles from NYC near Lehigh Valley on a 175-acre campus, with gymnasiums, a 6-lane swimming pool, athletic fields, activities center, semi-private suites, common living areas. There is a nurse on-call, walk-in medical center within 2 miles, and hospital within 14 miles. www.perkiomen.org
2017 WHITEWATER RAFTING: AUGUST 12
This bonus activity is included FREE for campers who register for both sessions! It will take place between sessions at a rafting outfitter in PA. This activity has been an annual tradition for NYFA members so they can vouch for the fun and safe time we’ll have. Overnight accommodations for Aug 12 will be arranged. Others may join us for an additional fee, as space allows. You may indicate your interest on the Application. More info to follow. (Parents may opt to pick-up their kids after Session 1 and bring them to
Session 2 the next day.)
We highly recommend registering early for best pricing and availability; space is limited. Your completed application and payment must be received in order to reserve your spot.
Registered campers must also submit the following items before they can attend the camp and no later than 7/31/17:
1. MEDICAL FORMS: completed by physician and parent/guardian
2. Copies of health insurance card valid for the duration of the camps, and 2017-2018 USFA membership card.
3. Fees paid in full per deadlines
If request to cancel is received by 5/31/17, NYFA credit will be issued for full amount paid. If cancelled 6/01- 6/29/17, a $500 administration fee applies and NYFA credit will be issued for remainder of balance paid. If cancelled 6/30/17 or later, all fees are non-refundable. NYFA reserves the right to cancel a camp for any reason, in which case, refunds will be issued.
You are responsible for your own transportation. Bus service can be arranged between NYFA and the camps if we get enough requests. Indicate your interest on the Application.
WHAT TO BRING
- Fencing uniform in good condition: mask, plastron, glove, chest protector (females), jacket, knickers, fencing shoes or athletic shoes with white non-marking soles, 2 pairs of long socks
- Fencing equipment: At least 3 working weapons, at least 3 body cords, extra blade
- Exercise clothes: At least 9 t-shirts, 5 pairs of shorts, warm-ups/sweats, extra sneakers
- Other clothes: Swimsuits, sandals; warm clothes for night
- Bedding/Linens: pillows, sheets, blankets, bath towels
- Toiletries: soap, shampoo, deodorant, bug repellent, sunscreen; detergent
- Bottled water (there are also water fountains available)
- Pocket money ($50 suggested, quarters for laundry)
- Rafting information will be provided separately
You will find more information in the Application Package about the camp as well as a list of nearby hotels and restaurants for interested parents. If you have any questions, ask your coach or feel free to contact us.
(INTERNATIONAL: CHECK BACK FOR 2018 UPDATE)
past camp – 2016 INTERNATIONAL SUMMER FENCING CAMP IN ALMERIA, SPAIN: JULY 17-23 (can extend to July 30)
This is a great international camp for beginners, intermediate and advanced fencers. Participants come from several countries to prepare for the upcoming season and achieve a competitive edge. In addition to training, you will enjoy the beautiful Mediterranean beach and other activities and stay in a 4-star hotel.
- Dates: July 17-23, 2016 (can extend to July 30)
- Level: Competitive fencers
- Age categories: Y8 to Seniors
- Location: Almeria, Spain
- Includes training program, room and meals
- 2 training sessions/day, exercise, bouting, group lessons, competition
- 2-3 students per room
- 4-star Hotel: Barcelo Cabo de Gata – El Toyo – Retamar