New York Fencing Academy would like to thank all of our parents and fencers for your continuous support of our club which allowed us to achieve impressive results at the 2011 Summer Nationals in Reno, Nevada. For ten days, more than 3,500 of the best fencers in the US fought for National titles and medals. NYFA was represented by nine fencers: Annie Morelli, Anna Brosgol, Sophia Chelnitsky, Peye Wong, Skyler Chin, Gabriel Canaux, Daniel Hurwitz, Aaron Fu and Bennett Cohen. Coach Misha Mokretsov congratulates everyone for giving their maximum effort and making our club proud.
Top 32 Results:
Y14 Women’s Epee National Championship:
Annie Morelli: 5th Place out of 112 (C2011 rating)
Sophia Chelnitsky: 30th Place
Peye Wong: 32nd Place (E2011 rating)
Y14 Men’s Epee National Championship:
Skyler Chin: Bronze Medal out of 167 (A2011 rating)
Cadet Women’s Epee North American Cup:
Anna Brosgol: 20th Place out of 133 (C2011 rating)
Cadet Men’s Epee North American Cup:
Gabriel Canaux: 20th Place out of 187
Division 2 Men’s Epee National Championship:
Skyler Chin: Silver Medal out of 111
Division 3 Women’s Epee National Championship:
Sophia Chelnitsky: 32nd Place out of 96
Division 3 Men’s Epee National Championship:
Skyler Chin: 18th Place out of 129
Posted in RESULTS, Uncategorized
Tagged Brooklyn, epee, fence, fencing, Long Island, NAC, North American Cup, NYFA, olympic sport, Summer Nationals, tournaments, youth fencing
Congratulations to NYFA fencers for this weekend’s results:
- Anton Chmut took home a gold medal in the Y10 NJFA Danny Bukantz Youth Challenge. We are happy that NYFA has young fencers ready to continue our traditions.
- Skyler Chin took 5th place at the Fencers Club Junior Epee Challenge IV. It was a strong event and Sky went undefeated in pools and was only 1 touch away from top 4.
- Sophia Chelnitsky also took 5th place at the Fencers Club Junior Epee Challenge IV and renewed her rating.
- Annie Morelli made top 8 at the Fencers Club Junior Epee Challenge IV and was a couple of touches away from top 4.
- Peye Wong again impressed us with 2 medals from NJFA Danny Bukantz Youth Challenge – she got 3rd in Y12 mixed where she showed the best result of all girls. In Y14 mixed, Peye took the girls bronze medal proving again that she can compete in older age groups.
Congratulations to Gabriel Canaux, winner of the 2011 Mr. Ma Cup in Y14 Epee! Not only did he bring home the Y14 champion trophy, but he almost made top 4 in the Senior Epee competition as well, earning a 5th place medal. Good job Gabe!
We would like to share some impressive results that our fencers showed this weekend!
- Gabriel Canaux had his best personal result this weekend at the NJFA 5th Annual Danny Bukantz Open. Even though Gabriel is still in Youth 14 age group, he competed in the adult tournament that had 86 competitors. Despite the fact that the tournament consisted of over 20 “A” fencers and the same amount of “B” fencers, Gabriel made his way all the way to the top claiming the Gold Medal and earning his “A 2011” rating.
- Skyler Chin made NYFA proud as well by making top 16 at the same event. Skyler is only in the 13 year old age group, and we are happy he can compete on the adult level already. Congratulations to Skyler on his performance and on earning his “B 2011” rating.
Posted in RESULTS
Tagged Brooklyn, epee, fence, fencing, Gold medal, Long Island, NJFA Danny Bukantz, NY, NYFA, olympic sport, tournaments
Romain Cannone brought home a bronze medal from the North American Cup in Portland, Oregon. There were 19 Y14 teams participating from all over USA and Canada – Romain was an anchor on the team and the medal was very well deserved.
Also, our fencers participated in the international competition in Montreal, Canada – “Challenge 4 Nations”. Our fencers did very well and we are happy for their international performance:
- Gabriel Canaux took second place in Y14 age group – he was very close to win the tournament but was short 2 touches in a gold medal match.
- Peye Wong also took silver in Y12 age group earning her first international medal.
- Skyler Chin was third in Y14!
- Romain Cannone took 8th place in Y14, bringing home the 3rd medal for NYFA in Y14 ME!
- As a team, our fencers competed with Canadian, American and French fencers and took second place in the gold medal match with French team. Our team consisted of Gabriel Canaux, Skyler Chin, Romain Cannone and Alexander Bogert (Florida fencer that joined our team for this event). That was also a first international medal for NYFA team!
- Annie Morelli had an impressive performance making top 8 not only in Y14 event but also in the Under 19 age group. Annie is still 14 years old and we are happy that she’s already strong enough to fence in older age groups.
- Bennett Cohen had his first experience at international tournament and in the older age group – he fought very hard and we wish him best of luck in future events.
Posted in RESULTS
Tagged Brooklyn, epee, fence, fencing, Long Island, NAC, North American Cup, NY, NYFA, olympic sport, tournaments
Our fencers competed in this weekend’s Super Youth Circuit. NYFA presented fencers in all age groups:
- Bennett Cohen took 3rd place in Y10 age group and earned his third medal this season at SYC’s. He also earned national points – god job Bennett!
- Anton Chmut was fighting in the same age group with Bennett and made top 8! That was Anton’s first medal at competitions – we all know you’ll have many more:)
- Peye Wong came in 3rd in Y12 age group – earning her 3rd SYC medal this season – way to go Peye!
- William Wexler had his debut in Y12 epee and showed good composure and competitive spirit and even though he lost in his first DE he was fighting hard and lost a very close bout – keep practicing Will and you’ll succeed!
- Skyler Chin showed very good fencing in the pools but lost to his teammate Romain Cannone in direct elimination round. Cannone eventually lost by one touch to the winner of SYC to make top 4. This way Romain got his second SYC medal this year! Both Skyler and Romain are top seeds in the region in Y14 despite the fact that they are only 13 y. o.! We are looking forward to a good performance at NAC “E” from them this April! Along with Sky and Romain one more NYFA fencer had his debut. Sam Burman was fighting very hard and was very close to victory in many bouts but he lacked experience to claim the victory. Keep working Sam and you will be victorious!
- Sophia Chelnitsky had very strong performance in pools by going undefeated but lost to her teammate Anna Brosgol to make top 8. Sophia took 10th place and qualified for Summer Nationals. Good job Sophiyka!
- Anna Brosgol was short one touch to make top 2. This bronze medal is Anna’s best result in her fencing career – Anna also renewed her rating to “D 2011”. Congratulations Anna!!!
- Also I would like to congratulate Aaron Fu with his “E 2011” that he earned couple weeks ago!
- Congratulations to Gabriel Canaux for taking 1st place in the U16 British Youth Championships South Eastern Div qualifier!
We would like to congratulate our fencer Annie Morelli with a very impressive result. Even though Annie is only 14 years old she made top 20 out of 93 fencers in the North American Cup among cadets (16 years old)! On her way to top 20 Annie beat Mandeep Bhinder who is ranked #8 in cadets in USA. Also Annie renewed her “C” rating.
Good Job Annie – NYFA is proud of you – keep working hard!
This weekend our youth fencers competed in the Sword in the Snow Super Youth Circuit in New Hampshire. And they made NYFA very proud:
- Bennett Cohen bronze medal in Y10 – good job Bennett – it’s your first national medal
- Peye Wong bronze medal in Y12 – congrats Peye you came far in these couple of months – keep it up
- Romain Cannone took 5th in Y14 and earned his E2011 rating – bravo Romain
- Skyler Chin bronze medal in Y14 and renewed his D rating – well done Sky
- Gabriel Canaux gold medal in Y14 and earned his C2011 – we are really happy for you Gabe – you deserved that
In addition, our fencers participated in the 3rd New York Epee Grand Prix – this is one of the strongest adult epee tournaments in NYC. There were 30 “A” and “B” rated fencers.
- Daniel Hurwitz made top 8 in that event – very impressive result Dan!!
Also there are some results that we didn’t post before due to the holidays but which deserve attention:
- Annie Morelli won Candlewood Holiday Cadet event
- Gabriel Canaux won Fencers Club Junior Epee Challenge II
This weekend was very challenging since NYFA students had many tournaments to fence including Long Island Junior Olympics qualifiers:
- I’m proud to announce that NYFA qualified one more fencer – Skyler Chin for Junior Olympics which will be held in Dallas this February. Skyler qualified for both Cadets and Juniors, placing 2nd and 5th. Good job Sky and good luck at JO’s!
- Aaron Fu also participated in the Cadets qualifier and was 1 spot away from qualifying. Even though Aaron did not qualify he made the final 8 in a strong event!
- Daniel Hurwitz also made NYFA proud as he made top 8 at Mercury Cup #2 – the hardest epee tournament in NYC – only “A” and “B” rated fencers are allowed to register for it. Daniel beat five “A” rated fencers and one “B” rated throughout this event and took 5th place! Good job Daniel – keep it up!
- Gabriel Canaux and Annie Morelli took gold and silver respectively in the “C” and under event at Empire United Fencing Club – they really represented their club to the best standard possible!
Congratulations to Peye Wong for winning her Gold medal in the mixed Y12 epee event at Atlantic Fencing in NJ this weekend! This is Peye’s third epee competition and second gold medal – way to go Peye!