Congratulations to Gabriel Canaux, winner of the 2011 Mr. Ma Cup in Y14 Epee! Not only did he bring home the Y14 champion trophy, but he almost made top 4 in the Senior Epee competition as well, earning a 5th place medal. Good job Gabe!
We would like to share some impressive results that our fencers showed this weekend!
- Gabriel Canaux had his best personal result this weekend at the NJFA 5th Annual Danny Bukantz Open. Even though Gabriel is still in Youth 14 age group, he competed in the adult tournament that had 86 competitors. Despite the fact that the tournament consisted of over 20 “A” fencers and the same amount of “B” fencers, Gabriel made his way all the way to the top claiming the Gold Medal and earning his “A 2011” rating.
- Skyler Chin made NYFA proud as well by making top 16 at the same event. Skyler is only in the 13 year old age group, and we are happy he can compete on the adult level already. Congratulations to Skyler on his performance and on earning his “B 2011” rating.
Romain Cannone brought home a bronze medal from the North American Cup in Portland, Oregon. There were 19 Y14 teams participating from all over USA and Canada – Romain was an anchor on the team and the medal was very well deserved.
Also, our fencers participated in the international competition in Montreal, Canada – “Challenge 4 Nations”. Our fencers did very well and we are happy for their international performance:
- Gabriel Canaux took second place in Y14 age group – he was very close to win the tournament but was short 2 touches in a gold medal match.
- Peye Wong also took silver in Y12 age group earning her first international medal.
- Skyler Chin was third in Y14!
- Romain Cannone took 8th place in Y14, bringing home the 3rd medal for NYFA in Y14 ME!
- As a team, our fencers competed with Canadian, American and French fencers and took second place in the gold medal match with French team. Our team consisted of Gabriel Canaux, Skyler Chin, Romain Cannone and Alexander Bogert (Florida fencer that joined our team for this event). That was also a first international medal for NYFA team!
- Annie Morelli had an impressive performance making top 8 not only in Y14 event but also in the Under 19 age group. Annie is still 14 years old and we are happy that she’s already strong enough to fence in older age groups.
- Bennett Cohen had his first experience at international tournament and in the older age group – he fought very hard and we wish him best of luck in future events.
NYFA would like to congratulate our fencers on this weekend’s results:
- Peye Wong took 3rd place at NJFA Youth tournament in Y12 and also made top 8 in Y14 – good job Peye
- William Wexler made us very proud by making top 8 at NJFA Y12 event – it’s only the second tournament for Will and we are very happy for him
- Romain Cannone also got a bronze medal at Fencer’s Club adult tournament – bravo Romain
- Misha Mokretsov kept up this weekend’s bronze medal tradition at the Mission Motorcycle Madness Event
Our fencers competed in this weekend’s Super Youth Circuit. NYFA presented fencers in all age groups:
- Bennett Cohen took 3rd place in Y10 age group and earned his third medal this season at SYC’s. He also earned national points – god job Bennett!
- Anton Chmut was fighting in the same age group with Bennett and made top 8! That was Anton’s first medal at competitions – we all know you’ll have many more:)
- Peye Wong came in 3rd in Y12 age group – earning her 3rd SYC medal this season – way to go Peye!
- William Wexler had his debut in Y12 epee and showed good composure and competitive spirit and even though he lost in his first DE he was fighting hard and lost a very close bout – keep practicing Will and you’ll succeed!
- Skyler Chin showed very good fencing in the pools but lost to his teammate Romain Cannone in direct elimination round. Cannone eventually lost by one touch to the winner of SYC to make top 4. This way Romain got his second SYC medal this year! Both Skyler and Romain are top seeds in the region in Y14 despite the fact that they are only 13 y. o.! We are looking forward to a good performance at NAC “E” from them this April! Along with Sky and Romain one more NYFA fencer had his debut. Sam Burman was fighting very hard and was very close to victory in many bouts but he lacked experience to claim the victory. Keep working Sam and you will be victorious!
- Sophia Chelnitsky had very strong performance in pools by going undefeated but lost to her teammate Anna Brosgol to make top 8. Sophia took 10th place and qualified for Summer Nationals. Good job Sophiyka!
- Anna Brosgol was short one touch to make top 2. This bronze medal is Anna’s best result in her fencing career – Anna also renewed her rating to “D 2011”. Congratulations Anna!!!
- Also I would like to congratulate Aaron Fu with his “E 2011” that he earned couple weeks ago!
- Congratulations to Gabriel Canaux for taking 1st place in the U16 British Youth Championships South Eastern Div qualifier!